02 February 2010

Movie: Temple Grandin Airs on Saturday

This Saturday on HBO, watch Claire Danes star in the movie Temple Grandin, based on the memoirs of the famous author and autism advocate.

Grandin was diagnosed with autism in 1950. In an interview with MSNBC, she recalls, "I remember some behaviors like picking carpet fuzz and watching spinning plates for hours. I didn’t want to be touched. I couldn’t shut out background noise. I didn’t talk until I was about 4 years old. I screamed. I hummed. But as I grew up, I improved." She also shared her views on why autism diagnoses may be on the rise, what it was like to watch someone portray her, and what children with autism today need to improve (short answers: "one-on-one interaction with an effective teacher" and "teach these kids manners...autism is used too much as an excuse for bad behavior.")

Read the full interview at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35150832/ns/health-mental_health/.

Also check out check out some of CeDIR's titles written by Temple Grandin:

-Developing talents : careers for individuals with Asperger syndrome and high-functioning autism
-The way I see it : a personal look at autism and Asperger's
-Animals in translation : using the mysteries of autism to decode animal behavior
-Thinking in pictures : and other reports from my life with autism

No comments: